Tuesday, February 5, 2008

DocBand

Bryce has been diagnosed with Plagiocephaly. It's a parallelogram deformity of the head. Really it's not all that uncommon and very treatable. We will be working with an outfit here in Dallas called Cranial Technologies who developed the DocBand...a helmet that Bryce will have to wear 6-8 weeks. He has his casting appointment on Monday, 2/25, where they will do a plaster casting of his head and shoulders. The appointment is about 45 minutes long and the casting itself takes about 12 minutes, which is a long time to keep a baby still. His final fitting will be 10 days after that on Thursday, 3/6. We will have to go back each week for follow up visits and resizing. Hopefully one Band will do it and we won't have to repeat the process after the 6-8 week timeframe.

Anyway, keep him in your prayers. He will have to wear the Band 23 hours a day, only taking it off for bath time. They say that the first day or so is the toughest part, but after that the babies hardly know it's there.

Thanks! We'll keep everyone updated! If you'd like to check it out the website is www.cranialtech.com.

7 comments:

shack said...

Hey woman! Long time no chat...phone tag isn't working anymore, so we gotta make a phone date. Lots to tell you. Wanted to leave you a famous blog that I am addicted to, to check out for proof in Bryce's treatment. (lifeofsuz.blogspot.com) It is the quads website that I have read before there were even Quads. Fellow Harding grad, nurse, etc. I hope Bryce handles his fittings without too many tears. I will be praying for a smooth appointment.

shack said...

P.S. Please change the address above to: thelifeofsuz.blogspot.com

Sorry!

Traci said...

Amy,

I'll be praying for you. Even though this is treatable, it's scary when it's your baby. It's been so nice to connect with you again. I'm guessing the above posts are from Wendy? Traci

JulesR said...

I am so sorry that your family is having to go through this with Bryce. I will pray that everything with his appointments goes smoothly.
I can't wait to see you guys at the end of the month.

Lana said...

Hey As I reading your blog I was like you need to check out the quad blog. Then I read Wendy's comment and I was glad she told you about it. I too am addicted to that blog and Suzanne was very detailed about her experience with the cranial bands. Katie almost had to have one but we were able to do some head movement stuff that worked. Anyway, I am praying for your little one that it goes smoothly:)

maryann said...

Amy,
Will be praying for things to go smoothly!!! Keep us posted!

Elizabeth said...

These bands work miracles. You will be so glad you did it! Love you!